Using these Materials
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
Check to be sure that you have the materials for each state in which you may receive health care.
- These materials include:
- Instructions for preparing your advance directive, please read all the instructions.
- Your state-specific advance directive forms, which are the pages with the gray instruction bar on the left side.
- You may want to photocopy or print a second set of these forms before you start so you will have a clean copy if you need to start over.
- When you begin to fill out the forms, refer to the gray instruction bars — they will guide you through the process.
- Talk with your family, friends, and physicians about your advance Be sure the person you appoint to make decisions on your behalf understands your wishes.
- Once the form is completed and signed, photocopy the form and give it to the person you have appointed to make decisions on your behalf, your family, friends, health care providers and/or faith leaders so that the form is available in the event of an emergency.
- You may also want to save a copy of your form in an online personal health records application, program, or service that allows you to share your medical documents with your physicians, family, and others who you want to take an active role in your advance care planning.